BBC Scripted in London is looking to recruit a Radio Comedy Editor to join the team in London on a continuing contract.
Your role will be…
- To support Radio Comedy Executive Editor in execution of strategy and management of radio comedy team within BBC Studios.
- To deliver compelling, ambitious and distinctive content of the highest standard and to inspire others to do so.
- To act as a creative leader and expert in their field.
- To be alert to commercial opportunities as well as the Radio 4 comedy landscape.
- To be a role model team leader and manager who demonstrates a mature outlook and pragmatic attitude to feedback and challenges.
Key creative responsibilities include:
- To create compelling content that delights and engages audiences on all platforms
- To be creatively ambitious, actively looking for and making the most of new opportunities
- To create an atmosphere within teams where new creative ideas are encouraged
- To identify and bring new talent into the department and develop shows tailored to them.
- To deliver content that is compliant with the BBC editorial guidelines
- To oversee the development of new ideas and the renewal of existing programmes so that they compete successfully in the Offers round.
- To facilitate collaborative working with TV and digital colleagues and make the most of our talent and content.
Key team leadership responsibilities include:
- To exemplify the behaviours and skills they expect from others, in line with the BBC values
- To be outward looking and actively collaborate with partners inside and outside the BBC
- To provide positive leadership and personal ownership of change
- To lead by example and give candid and constructive feedback to the team
- To champion diversity within the teams and on air
Key team management responsibilities include:
- To be across show budgets and ensure that producers plan their time effectively
- To inspire, encourage and develop staff members
- To set objectives for their teams and actively manage performance
Key wider leadership responsibilities include:
- To be engaged in the BBC Comedy strategy and the broader BBC Studios agenda
- To be across developments in the wider industry and relate them to their team
The ideal candidate for this role will have/be…
- Creative thinking – demonstrates original, imaginative ideas and a willingness to explore different and novel approaches.
- An excellent knowledge of comedy and the comedy world and the ability to convert this knowledge into programme ideas on radio and online.
- Talent management – recognising and developing potential and maintaining effective working relationships with a wide range of people.
- Leadership – giving the team a clear sense of direction and purpose.
- Decision-making – is ready and able to take initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of decisions.
- Communication – promoting understanding and encouraging discussion.
- Resilience – demonstrates the ability to maintain personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Fully conversant with the BBC Legal and Editorial guidelines
Relevant experience required:
- Extensive experience of making content for Radio or TV with a clear editorial vision
- Proven ability to develop high quality mainstream comedy, drama or entertainment output as well as developing and working with new talent.
- To be open to new ideas and motivate colleagues to take creative risks, within the parameters of the BBC Guidelines.
- Evidence and experience of leadership and management at a senior level.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the wider departmental strategy
- A proactive approach to Diversity
- Conversant with industry developments.
- Demonstrates a maturity of outlook and resilience to cope with the responsibilities associated with the role.
Leadership behaviours needed…
- Creating a positive working environment where innovation flourishes
- Celebrating great creative work and new ideas
- Attracting and retaining creative talent within your team and on air
- Fostering collaboration to achieve common goals
- Acting as a unified leadership team and carry forward the strategy of the Executive Editor
- To take the initiative in taking on additional responsibilities and apply common-sense
- Encouraging the movement of people across the BBC
- Being prepared to make difficult decisions for the greater good
- Being brave and making challenging decisions
- Trusting your team, supporting them to deliver
- Resilience to internal and external pressures â driving change
The deadline for applications is 25 February.
Find out more and apply via this link: http://careerssearch.bbc.co.uk/jobs/job/Radio-Comedy-Editor-BBC-Scripted/19653